Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Arizona Jay

In my later years of my athletic life I discovered a great sport where I still think I can get better at - racquetball!  Its great fun, kind of fits my skill levels and abilities and really keeps me in pretty good shape. I play 3 or 4 times a week at Mankato and have been lucky enough to hook up with a number of other players in Arizona.  I resumed playing at the Mesa YMCA just this past Monday. It was great fun.

First, a bit of background on my Mankato racquetball mates.  They mostly come from the University where I worked for 26 years.  Jay, probably the best of the bunch is an excellent player, somewhat unorthodox but highly skilled.  Bob, my partner at the State Racquetball tournament in doubles is a powerful player with terrific finesse skills also. Rod (also known as Thunder) almost knocks the air out of the ball because he hits it so hard.  Bryan  (also known as five-wall because he tries to hit it off as many walls as he can) has cat-like quickness and never gives up on getting to a ball.  Frankie (I call him the "rat") moves around court with rat-like speed and is very pesky.  Denis is smooth as silk and smart as a fox.  I try my hardest to stay up with those guys but each year it gets harder.  However its great fun to try.

Now Arizona is a different story.  The guys are great to play with but aren't nearly as skilled as the Mankato lot.  However I'm totally grateful to have them to play with and enjoy every minute playing with them.  But you know what? I'm kind of the "Arizona Jay".  I'm actually the skilled one of the lot.  Really! Who would have thought it?

I hit the corners, hit the ball low, serve lobs, all things that seem to elude my partners down here.  I just play along and enjoy it while I can because I know eventually I'll have to come back to Mankato and face the music once again.

I'm back at it next Thursday - should be fun!


4 comments:

Anne said...

You are a natural Dad!!! I am so glad you and Peter love racquetball so much! I am sure it is fun but I think I might get claustrophobic in that little box of a court.

Anonymous said...

Apply cooking soft drinks and normal water to your plants regularly. Just mix the two ingredients in a apply bottle and mist the simply leaves of your respective plants. This blend behaves as a normal anti--fungus treatment. Harmful bug sprays might be avoided if you are using a baking soft drinks mix twice per week. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Obse8ighve[/url]

Anonymous said...

I've learn some excellent stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how so much attempt you set to create this type of fantastic informative web site.

Also visit my website ... Realestatevirtualassistants.Net

Anonymous said...

how to get pregnant
This is the largest and most definitive study in existence providing information on the outcome of tubal ligation reversal. Conceiving a baby is the most wonderful experience in a woman's life. You will need to chart your basal temperature for a few month to perfect the timing.